Monday 2 February 2009

It's Snow Joke For Students!


The second semester has stuttered into life at Wakefield College following a week-long self study period when, truth be told, I failed to achieve all the tasks I set myself for satellite working from home.

Back in the classroom HND students have begun two new assignments which take me into unfamiliar territory. Whilst I have some experience of image manipulation in the industry standard Photoshop package this is limited and various upgrades mean the software has moved on significantly since I last used the basic elements.

And, the introduction to XHTML has confirmed my fears that getting to grips with the fundamental language writing is going to prove a massive challenge. I am helped, however, by the fact that the new seminar groups place me with two competent colleagues who have XHTML experience and are already showing a degree of patience in expanding upon the mind-boggling code writing we have encountered in our introductory tutorial.

After getting to grips with some of the basic elements and having reached a point where I was beginning to understand their relationship to web site construction, it was unfortunate that some of the most severe snow to fall in almost 20 years brought an abrupt halt to our learning in college.

This meant even more self-study time at home which was disappointing given that both tutors and students were willing to stay for the upcoming lectures. Regrettably though the college decided to close and we are currently in limbo wondering whether or not another classroom week may be lost at this crucial stage in our schedule as the forthcoming half-term break will only add to the stop-start learning process.

Hopefully the weather will pass and we will return to the classroom but, if we find ourselves presented with even more individual self study time, then I fear I may be ruing the elements come submission time.

No comments: